For a lot of women, cellulite is an inevitability. Studies confirm that eight to nine women out of ten get cellulite at some stage of their lives. In the meantime, the pharmaceutical industry is making billions on anti-cellulite gels and creams. Almost all of them are sold over the counter, and they are far from their advertised efficiency.
However, one doesn’t have to use expensive drugs and gels to get rid of cellulite. Nowadays, there are natural ways to deal with your cellulite. But before we go into the natural ways of dealing with cellulite, we first need to understand cellulite at its core, how it’s ranked, and what causes it.
Basic Facts About Cellulite
The term cellulite describes the formation of dimples and lumps within the skin. There is a big misconception about cellulite that it can affect only women. The truth is that even though it is more common with women, it can happen to men as well.
According to a 2009 study, cellulite severity can be ranked in three grades:
- Grade one (mild) – It looks like an orange peel and has a slightly sagging appearance to the skin.
- Grade two (moderate) – The skin is moderately draped and has a cottage cheese type of look. Typically it has between four and nine medium depth depressions.
- Grade three (severe) – It looks like a mattress; the skin is very draped, with ten or more big depressions.
Scientists also have discovered the three major causes of cellulite and recommend natural solutions to deal with it.
Disposition of fat is the true essence of cellulite. The typical causes are an unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, abuse of alcohol, and so on. Some of the best ways to tackle that include:
- Controlling your weight.
- Eat less fast food and fatty foods.
- Decrease the intake of sugars. Instead, use natural sweeteners like maple syrup and honey as a replacement for refined sugar.
- Quit smoking
- Increase your physical activity. A simple walk around your block can go a long way in battling your cellulite. Just make a regular habit of that, and the results will come after time.
- Regularly massage the areas with cellulite
Blood circulatory disturbance is also a cause of cellulite. Cellulite further complicates the distribution of oxygen and blood in the tissue. Here are a few practical tips on how to avoid blood circulatory disturbance.
- Sitting with crossed legs makes the distribution of the oxygen-enriched blood from the heart very difficult. Therefore, it is best to avoid sitting with crossed legs.
- Occasional stretching is a simple but effective way to improve your blood circulation.
- Varicose vein problems ignite the development of cellulite, which further complicates the blood flow. Therefore, by tackling the varicose vein problems, you are indirectly tackling your cellulite problems as well.
- Skintight clothes don’t allow your skin to “breathe” enough. On top of it, it can also obstruct your blood flow, which is something we’ve explained above. But if the clothing you need to wear needs to be a bit tight, at least choose one made of natural materials.
According to several independent studies, the female hormone called estrogen can cause cellulite appearance. As such, estrogen ignites the development of fat in the areas of thighs, hips, and breasts, thus giving women the desired feminine look and shape. On the other hand, if the estrogen is not in the right dosage (excesses, deficiency, or jumps), the fat distribution is uneven and can help develop cellulite. The good news is that the estrogen imbalance can be tackled naturally. Here’s how:
- Never skip breakfast. After you wake up, the body needs support to start functioning as it is supposed to. By skipping breakfast, you green signal the body to reorganize its priorities. As a result, there might be leaps in the hormone levels.
However, it’s not all about eating breakfast; it’s also about eating a balanced one. For example, consider a breakfast that includes products rich in good fats like fish, eggs, avocado, turkey, or chicken breasts. You can even make a salad with some natural oil topping. So, eat your breakfast, make it a healthy one, and your estrogen levels will be just fine.
- Watch what you eat and whenever possible, choose organic food. Especially be careful when it comes to products from animals such as eggs, dairy, meat, etc. The thing is that animals might be fed with chemicals, which can lead to estrogen imbalance.
- Contraceptives can also lead to estrogen imbalance. Use them only when you genuinely need them and the ones recommended by a professional. Sometimes even if some work perfectly well with no side effects, they might be messing with your estrogen levels without you even realizing that.
- Stress can be a significant cause of estrogen imbalance. To deal with stress, sometimes the body begins to create more hormones than needed. This supposes a defense mechanism, but it sometimes can have the opposite effect – cause hormonal imbalance. For instance, if the stress is work-related, forget about it when you step out of your workplace.
Remember, having cellulite is not just some cosmetic issue but a severe warning sign of health problems. As such, cellulite needs to be treated and can be dealt with. By understanding its essence and causes, you can try to get rid of it naturally. That way, you can effectively avoid a range of health complications in the future.
Whether you are dealing with cellulite caused by imbalanced estrogen, blood circulatory disturbance, or excessive fat, the essential part of the natural approach is persistence, and the results will come.